Birth Injury Lawyer in Illinois
Birth Injury Lawyer in Illinois. Welcoming a child into the world should be a happy time – the last thing that parents should have to worry about is their newborn baby being harmed. But, statistics show that annually, for every 1,000 babies born in the U.S., 7 experience some type of birth trauma. Birth injuries can range in severity – while some can be minor or mild, others, can be debilitating and cause lifelong complications. If you think that your baby’s birth injuries were caused by a medical professional’s negligence, you might have a valid birth injury claim. Talking to a Birth Injury Lawyer in Illinois about your case can determine your right to file a claim, offer information on the process of pursuing a birth injury claim in Illinois, and provide support to you and your family during this terrible time, so you can focus on what matters most – celebrating the birth of your newborn child.
Common Birth Injuries | Birth Injury Lawyer, Illinois
While most births are painful, yet manageable, sometimes a complicated pregnancy or birth can cause damage to a child or mother. When this happens, it’s your doctor’s job to make sure that you and your newborn are safe and sound. If you are in pain or distress at any point during your pregnancy or labor, your doctor’s is expected to closely monitor the health of you and your baby, administer treatment to mitigate pain or damage, and make sure that your pregnancy and labor go as smoothly as possible. However, sometimes, this doesn’t happen due to medical malpractice by a medical professional. The most commonly reported birth injuries include:
- Cerebral Palsy – this injury affects areas of the brain that are responsible for muscle control and balance, can occur pre or post-birth and is preventable with close monitoring; if a medical professional is negligent during a patient’s pregnancy, labor, or during post-birth treatment, this can lead to permanent complications from Cerebral Palsy
- Forceps or Vaccuum Injuries – if a doctor improperly uses forceps or a vaccuum extractor during delivery this can inflict severe harm on a newborn baby
- Brachial Plexus Injuries – the most common birth injury, is damage to the nerves in a baby’s arm which generally goes away with treatment, but if ignored, can become permanent
- Facial Paralysis – injury to a baby’s facial nerves that occurs during birth, with or without the use of forceps. Most cases of facial paralysis go away in a matter of weeks, but cause long-lasting complications
- Intracranial Hemorrhaging – otherwise known as brain bleeds, can be caused by the baby not getting enough oxygen during birth, incorrect use of birthing tools, and other types of medical negligence
- Brain Damage – if a patient has an adverse reaction to a prescription drug during pregnancy, a fetus is harmed, or other injury is done during a child’s birth, this can cause brain damage to a child and result in permanent birth injuries and lifelong complications
What Should I Do If My Child Suffered a Birth Injury?
Some birth injuries are naturally occurring, while others are the result of a medical professional’s negligence. Regardless of what caused a newborn’s birth injury, the facts remain the same: most birth injuries are preventable, or the impact of the injury can be reduced, with close monitoring and timely treatment from a medical professional. If your child has been injured because of a medical professional’s negligence, you could be entitled to compensation, but it’s vital to talk to a Birth Injury Lawyer in Illinois, as soon as possible about the accident.
The last thing you’ll likely want to do after the birth of your child is track down information on filing a birth injury claim in Illinois. Hiring an Illinois Birth Injury Lawyer to take control of your case ensures that your claim is valid, there’s substantial proof of the medical personnel’s negligence, and offers protection from the hospital or medical professional’s insurance company during one of the most vulnerable times in your life.
Often, birth injury victims can pursue suits against both the medical professional that caused them or their baby harm, and the hospital that the medical professional is employed by, but this can come with complications. Hospitals have extensive insurance policies that are often held with the largest insurance companies in the industry, which can be hard to negotiate with. With a Birth Injury Lawyer in Illinois, on your side, you can be confident that your lawyer will do everything in their power to protect you from the other party’s insurer and demand the damages you deserve for your child’s preventable birth injuries.
Birth Injury Lawyers in Illinois
If your child has suffered severe or permanent birth injuries because of a medical professional’s negligence, you need the attorneys at Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. to represent your case. Our Illinois Birth Injury Lawyers have fought for the rights of countless medical malpractice victims, and have recovered thousands of dollars in settlements for victims and their families for more than six decades.
Our Birth Injury Lawyers in Illinois, understand how hard it is to find out that your child was injured during your pregnancy or birth, but our attorneys are committed to recovering a high settlement to help with the financial hardships related to the situation. If you are interested in discussing your birth injuries case with our experienced Birth Injury Lawyers in Illinois, call (618) 244-5335, (800) 553-3125 (toll-free), or contact Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., now for a free case review.