In many big cities, like Chicago, construction work on the roadways is a regular occurrence, and driving through construction zones can be just another factor in a motorcyclist’s daily commute. Although there are specific regulations in place regarding how construction zone sites in roadways should be set up and maintained, a number of factors can cause these zones to be poorly erected and improperly maintained and, unfortunately, increase the risk of motorcycle accidents.
Causes of Construction Zone Motorcycle Accidents
Some of the specific causes of construction zone motorcycle accidents may include (but are not limited to):
- Construction equipment, vehicles or other debris in the roadway
- Inappropriately placed construction zone barriers (or a complete lack of these barriers to shield the work from passing motorcyclists and other drivers)
- Lack of warning signs (either leading up to the construction zone or within the zone itself)
- Poorly marked temporary lanes or temporary detours
- Poorly trained (or otherwise inexperienced) construction workers operating equipment or attempting to guide traffic
- Other drivers acting negligently and failing to use caution when driving through construction zones (such as by speeding, failing to yield to right-of-way laws or cutting of others on the road)
Other factors associated with construction zone sites – even if the sites are operated as they should be – can increase the likelihood of construction zone motorcycle accidents. Examples of these factors include lack of roadway shoulders in which to pull over, increased rocks or gravel on the road and pooling water or other liquids on the road.
In cases of construction zone motorcycle accidents, the parties that can be held legally accountable for these crashes and the resulting injuries can include the city or county government agency, the Illinois Department of Transportation and/or contractors and construction workers performing the work in question.
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon motorcycle accident lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. If you or a loved one has sustained any type of injury due to a motorcycle accident, contact us by calling (800)-553-3125 for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.