Continuing from 6 Facts to Know about Emergency Room Errors (Pt. 1), here, we will point out some more important facts to know about ER mistakes.
Fact 3 – The hectic nature of ERs can increase the risk that emergency room errors will occur.
While any number of different factors can increase the incidence of emergency room errors, the chaotic nature of ERs is commonly a contributing factor. Just some of the reasons for this include that hectic emergency rooms makes it more likely that medical professionals:
- Will not be able to spend sufficient time with each patient
- Will overlook some of the obvious symptoms patients may be displaying
- Will misread the results of medical tests (if the proper tests are even ordered in the first place)
- Will not have time to review a patient’s complete medical history
- Will make medication mistakes (like giving inappropriate types or amounts of medications to patients, based on their conditions and/or medical histories).
In the event that other contributing factors to medical malpractice are also present (like the inexperience or a lack of training for medical professionals), then the hectic nature of ERs is far more likely to lead to emergency room errors and patient injuries.
Fact 4 – Emergency rooms errors are expected to increase in the not-so-far-off future.
While there are various things that can be done to reduce the incidence of emergency room errors, tragically, some researchers are predicting that the this type of medical malpractice is likely to increase in the near future. Just a few of the reasons for this prediction are as follows:
- New legislation guarantees that insurers will have to cover out-of-network emergency services, meaning that more people may be inclined to seek treatment from ERs.
- There has been a decrease in the number of emergency rooms available to treat patients in the U.S.
- Overcrowding in emergency rooms in the U.S. is likely to increase, meaning that the same number of medical professionals will likely be treating significantly more patients. This, in turn, sets the stage for emergency room errors to occur at an increasing rate in the U.S.
For some final important info about emergency room errors, be sure to check out the conclusion to this blog that will be published soon.
Mount Vernon Medical Malpractice Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt by emergency room errors or any type of medical negligence? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon medical malpractice lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights. Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.