At about 2 am this morning, a 66-year-old woman from Christian County died when her car was hit by a Taylorville train. According to investigators who are still looking into this fatal car accident, the woman’s car had been stuck on the train tracks prior to the collision. The accident occurred near South Main and Palmer Street, and authorities report that the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
Was Negligence Involved in the Fatal Car Accidents? Investigators to Find Out…
At this time, investigators have not released any information regarding potential negligence or fault in the fatal accident. However, as they continue their investigation, they may end up finding that one or more of the following forms of negligence contributed to this fatal car accident:
- The railroad safety gates did not drop at the railroad crossing, failing to alert the driver about the oncoming train.
- The train engineer failed to sound the warning whistle and/or failed to slow down when approaching the railroad crossing.
- The train tracks were so poorly maintained that they ended up causing the woman’s car to get lodged on the train tracks.
- Although the railroad safety gates did drop, the driver proceeded anyways.
- The driver was intoxicated, fatigued, and/or distracted at the time of the collision.
If investigators ultimately determine that negligence was involved in the accident and that it was caused by any other party than the deceased driver, the family of the driver who died in this accident:
- Will likely have grounds for filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent parties (which may end up including railroad employees, a railroad company or even some municipal entity)
- Will have the best chances of obtaining the compensation they deserve by working with Hassakis & Hassakis.
Mount Vernon Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you been hurt in a car accident? If so, the Mount Vernon car accident lawyers at the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are here for you. Providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950, our trusted attorneys always focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
You can receive a professional evaluation of your case by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page to set up a free initial consultation. We can provide you with a thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.