Nearly 8 million vehicles in the U.S. are now the subject of a massive recall due to the defective Takata airbags they contain, regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are now reporting. While these regulators are currently investigating the depths of the severe impacts that have already been caused by these defective Takata airbags, here’s what they reportedly know so far:
- While nearly 8 million vehicles in the U.S. have these recalled defective Takata airbags, worldwide, there are approximately 14 million impacted vehicles made by 11 different auto makers.
- At least four people have been killed as a direct result of the injuries they sustained from the defective Takata airbags.
- More than 135 people in the U.S. have reported being injured by these defective Takata airbags.
As regulators rush to get the word out about this serious recall, they are strongly urging the owners of the impacted vehicles in the U.S. to:
- Figure out if their vehicle(s) have defective Takata airbags.
- Get these airbags replaced as soon as possible.
- Prevent anyone from sitting in the front passenger seats of these vehicles until the defective Takata airbags have been replaced.
Dangers Posed by the Defective Takata Airbags
The specific risks and dangers associated with the defective Takata airbags arise when these airbags deploy during accidents. In fact, instead of protecting the motorists and passengers of vehicles as airbags are supposed to, these defective Takata airbags can instead:
- Hurl small pieces of metal at the people inside of vehicles
- Cause people to end up with puncture wounds (which can be fatal if vital organs or airways are hit by these pieces of metal).
These risks are reportedly far more serious in hot and humid areas (like in Florida and in certain regions around the Gulf of Mexico). Therefore, the individuals who live in these areas and own vehicles with defective Takata airbags are the people under the strongest urgency to get these airbags replaced ASAP.
Mount Vernon Personal Injury Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
If you or a loved one has been hurt by defective Takata airbags or any vehicle equipment defect, the Mount Vernon products liability lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to help you. Providing superior legal service and representation since 1950, our experienced Mount Vernon attorneys have the experience, skills and resources you can count on to help you:
- Build the strongest possible case
- Aggressively assert your rights
- Hold negligent parties accountable for having caused your injuries
- Obtain the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex legal process.
For more info about your rights and how we can assist you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.