This week, regulators at the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) are reminding motorists to “Expect the Unexpected. See Orange, Slow Down, Save Lives.” for work zone safety week. Supported by the Illinois State Police and the Illinois Tollway, work zone safety week is focused on bringing down the number of traffic-related fatalities in work zones down to zero.
According to IDOT:
- Each year, there are more than 4,300 traffic accidents that take place in Illinois highway work zones.
- In 2014, 29 people (including three workers) died in fatal Illinois work zone traffic accidents (based on the preliminary analysis of compiled data).
- Highway work zone crashes are 100 percent preventable.
Work Zone Safety Week: Safety Tips for Drivers
To do your part in support of work zone safety week, here are some safety tips for drivers to keep in mind when you are near/passing through highway work zones:
- Slow down and look for signs informing you of changed routes, reduced speed limits, closed lanes and/or upcoming stops.
- Stay alert. There is a lot going on in and around work zones, so don’t take your eyes off the road. Remaining focused while driving near and around work zones can help you respond quickly and appropriately should driving conditions suddenly change.
- Stay calm. Traffic can pile up when approaching highway work zones, especially if signals are not working, lanes are closed and/or traffic needs to be slowly directed. So, try to stay as patient as possible.
- Leave enough headroom between your vehicle and vehicles you are following. You never know when drivers in front of you will make sudden stops, so make sure that you have enough room to safely stop if this happens.
Additionally, IDOT is asking motorists to take the following pledges (online) in support of work zone safety week:
- I will not text and drive.
- I will not talk on the phone while driving near or through highway work zones.
- I will obey work zone speed limits and stay focused when driving around/through highway work zones.
Mount Vernon Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt in a car accident or any type of motor vehicle accident? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon car accident lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights. Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients.
Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.