Continuing from Illinois Teen Driving Laws and Teen Accident Statistics (Part 1), here is some additional important information regarding teen drivers and teen accident statistics. These statistics, which have been compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and others, provide a clear picture of prevalence of serious car accidents among teen drivers:
- The highest chances of getting into a car accident occur within the first 6 months after teen drivers receive their drivers’ licenses, and 16-year-olds have the highest car crash rate over drivers of any other age.
- More than 75 percent of serious car accidents involving teen drivers are caused by driver distraction (either by something inside or outside of the vehicle), driving too fast in relation to the road conditions and failing to focus on key visual cues and respond appropriately to impending hazards.
- Teenage passengers and cellphones are the two primary factors that cause driver distraction for teen drivers.
- Approximately 2 in every 3 teenage motor vehicle accident deaths affect males.
- Nearly 60 percent of teen passenger deaths occurred in vehicles being driving by other teen drivers, and about 17 percent of all passenger deaths involved a teen driver.
- More than half of all teen motor vehicle fatalities took place on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays.
- In states, like Illinois, where there are graduated drivers’ license programs in place, there is about a 20-percent decrease in the number of fatal car accidents involving teen drivers and passengers.
Mount Vernon Car Accident Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon car accident lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. If you have lost a loved one due to any type of injury due to vehicle accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.