As a continuation of Medical Malpractice and Birth Defects (Part 1), here is some additional information regarding the types of birth defects that babies can be born with when medical professionals make mistakes and/or poor judgments. It’s important to note that, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), about 3 percent of all babies born in the U.S. (roughly 120,000 infants) are born with mild to severe birth defects each year.
Types of Birth Defects
Some of the most common types of birth defects that can be caused by medical professionals’ mistakes include (but are not limited to):
- Cerebral palsy, a cognitive defect that can affect speech, movement, thinking and coordination
- Spina bifida, a condition in which the spinal cord is not fully formed
- Heart defects, in which the heart is not fully formed or properly developed
- Stomach or intestinal defects, in which any part of the stomach, intestines or abdominal organs are not properly or fully formed
- Facial defects, such as cleft palate or eye-related defects.
Mount Vernon Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Although no amount of money can ever make up for your baby’s injuries or impairments, pursing birth injury lawsuits can help secure the compensation necessary to obtain the medical treatments your baby needs. At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon medical malpractice lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
If your child was born with birth defects and you believe that medical malpractice may be to blame, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.