While personal injuries are commonly thought to be physical damage to a person’s internal organs, such as his brain and spinal cord, it’s less common for people to associate personal injuries with disfigurement and scarring, which can have lasting effects on an individual’s:
- Physical abilities, such as the ability to walk, drive, hug one’s loved ones, etc.
- Emotional wellbeing, as scarring and disfigurement can cause depression, anxiety or even post-traumatic stress disorder
- Overall self-esteem and quality of life.
Despite the fact that scarring and disfigurement may not be one of the more prominent types of personal injuries that come to mind, these injuries:
- Can be just as damaging as other types of personal injuries
- May require long-term or even lifelong medical treatments
- Can entitle affected individuals to compensation for their losses and mental anguish if another person’s negligence somehow played a role in causing the disfigurement or scarring.
When it comes to compensation for disfigurement and scarring, some of the factors that come into consideration include (but are not limited to):
- The area of the body that has been impacted
- Whether the scarring or disfigurement impairs an individual’s ability to perform certain daily activities
- Whether the scarring or disfigurement has the potential to cause embarrassment
- Whether the scarring or disfigurement will require ongoing medical treatment
- Whether the injured individual (i.e., the person who suffered the scarring or disfigurement) played a role in causing the injury (for example, if the injured person was also somehow negligent, the compensation amount may be mitigated by this fact).
Mount Vernon Personal Injury Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon personal injury lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. If you have been suffered from disfigurement or scarring that may have been caused by another party’s negligent or reckless behavior, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.