Here’s the conclusion to our series entitled Slip and Fall Accident Cases: FAQs.
Slip and Fall Accident Cases: More Answers
Q – How long does it take to resolve slip and fall accident cases?
A – Without first reviewing the facts of a specific slip and fall case, we can’t provide a specific answer to this question. However, we can inform you that, when it comes to the duration of slip and fall accident cases, these cases tend to be open longer when:
- They are more complicated because, for instance, corporate entities have been named as defendants (because an accident occurred in a retail setting), the nature of people’s injuries is more complex (such as when people sustain head injuries and the extent of the damage is difficult to ascertain), etc.
- There are multiple defendants and/or plaintiffs.
- Defendants are intent on fighting these claims, rather than offering equitable settlements prior to trial to resolve these cases expeditiously.
Additionally, we want to note that people shouldn’t usually expect slip and fall accident cases to be wrapped up within days or weeks. As with other types of complicated personal injury cases, slip and fall accident cases commonly take months (or longer) to resolve.
Q – Should I give a statement to insurers who are contacting me about a slip and fall accident case?
A – Generally, no. This is because:
- Insurance companies are not on your side after slip and falls. Instead, they are usually looking out for their own interests and profits.
- This can mean that insurers may try to use your statement(s) against you later to try to devalue or deny the payouts to which you are likely entitled.
To ensure your rights and interests are protected throughout the course of your case, it’s best to retain an experienced attorney to represent you, stand up to insurers on your behalf and help you assert your rights to compensation in any setting moving forward.
Q – How long do I have to file my slip and fall accident case?
A – In the state of Illinois, people have two years from the date of their accident to file slip and fall accident cases.
Although this may seem like a lot of time – and although you may be more concerned with your physical recovery after your accident, getting slip and fall accident cases started as soon as possible is crucial to:
- Crafting the strongest possible case, as more evidence (like videos and witnesses) is generally available sooner after accidents, as opposed to one or two years after them
- Not running out the statute of limitations for these cases
- Obtaining compensation as soon as possible to relieve your financial stress and help you move on with your life.
Mount Vernon Premises Liability Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt in a slip and fall accident? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon premises liability lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.