Undergoing surgery for any medical condition can be a daunting idea for many, and those who are preparing for any surgery want to trust that they will be receiving the best possible care from the surgeons and other medical professionals who will perform the operation. Unfortunately, however, this is not always the case, as surgeons and others can make mistakes that may result in severe or even life-threatening injuries for patients.
When this occurs, injured patients will likely have a medical malpractice claim against the involved surgeon(s), medical professionals and hospital and can secure compensation for their injuries and losses by pursing a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Examples of Surgical Errors
Some of the most common types of surgical errors that can take place in operating rooms include (but are not limited to):
- Improperly administering anesthesia prior to an operation (for example, giving too much or too little anesthesia to patients)
- Improperly administering other medications (which can include administering medications to which patients are allergic)
- Operating on the wrong surgical site of the body
- Performing the wrong operation on a patient
- Leaving surgical instruments, sponges, etc. inside of patients following an operation
- Using the improper tools or devices to perform an operation
- Failing to check equipment prior to an operation
- Failing to identify and properly respond to signs of patient distress during an operation.
Some factors that can increase the risk of these surgery errors may include:
- A surgeon’s or other medical staff’s lack of training
- A surgeon or other medical staff being excessively fatigued when performing surgery (due to, for example, working double shifts or excessively long hours)
- Insufficient staff being available at the hospital
- A hospital’s failure to properly maintain its equipment
Mount Vernon Personal Injury Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon personal injury lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you have been injured after undergoing surgery, or if you have lost a loved one due to any type of injury that may have been caused by a surgical error, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.