Since 2004, the overall number of traffic accident deaths in the U.S. has reportedly declined by approximately 25 percent, according to a recent report from safety regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
In reporting some noteworthy motor vehicle accident statistics for 2013 (the most recent year for which traffic collisions statistics in the U.S. are available), here are some other fascinating statistics the NHTSA has highlighted:
- From 2012 to 2013, traffic accident deaths in the U.S. declined by more than 3 percent (dropping from about 33,700 in 2012 to just over 32,700 in 2013).
- The only year for which the recorded traffic accident deaths were lower than they were for 2013 was 1975.
- The incidence of injury-related (non-fatal) traffic accidents also dropped in 2013 by more than 2 percent.
- For all of the following types of traffic accidents, the rates of fatalities recorded in 2013 went down: passenger vehicle accidents, motorcycle accidents, small truck accidents, bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents.
- Traffic accidents caused by distracted drivers and drunk drivers notably decreased in 2013, with there being a nearly 7 percent decrease in the incidence of distracted driving accidents and a 2.5 percent decline in the incidence of alcohol-related traffic accidents in 2013 (when compared to 2012).
- The five states that had the most dramatic drops in traffic accident deaths in 2013 (when compared to 2012) were as follows:
- Ohio, which had 132 fewer traffic accident deaths in 2013
- Kentucky, which had 108 less traffic accident deaths in 2013
- Pennsylvania, which had 102 fewer traffic accident deaths in 2013
- South Carolina, which had 96 less traffic accident deaths in 2013
- Arkansas, which had 77 fewer traffic accident deaths in 2013.
In the official press release announcing these significant declines in traffic accident deaths in the U.S. in 2013, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx explained, “safety truly is a shared responsibility and we’ve all got more work to do in the New Year to keep more families together – that’s my resolution to the American people.”
Mount Vernon Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt in a traffic accident? Or have you lost a loved one in a fatal motor vehicle accident? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights. Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.