In the wake of our recent post on the OSHA violations issued for various trenching violations at an Illinois construction site, we think it’s a good time to take a closer look at some of causes trench accidents, as well as what injured people can do after these accidents to obtain compensation for their injuries and losses.
Specifically, workers injured in trench accidents should know that, after these accidents:
- They may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits as they recover from their injuries.
- They may be able to file a lawsuit against a third party (like, for instance, a sub-contractor) if that third party caused or contributed to the trench accident.
- They can count on the Mount Vernon trench accident and workers’ compensation attorneys at Hassakis & Hassakis to provide them with superior representation and help them obtain the full amount of compensation they deserve.
Causes of Trench Accidents
Some of the specific factors and conditions that can increase the risk of trench accidents include (but are not limited to):
- Failing to properly use trench boxes to prevent soil avalanches or cave-ins
- Failing to properly buttress trenches
- Stockpiling soil too close to the edge of trenches
- Trenching on a dangerous or improper grade
- Operating heavy machinery too close to a trench
- Failing to install guardrails or warning signs along the upper edge of trenches
- Failing to provide workers with an easy way to escape or exit trenches (such as, for instance, by providing enough ladders in trenches)
- Failing to provide construction workers with helmets and other crucial personal protective gear
- Failing to properly train construction workers how to excavate trenches, maintain trenches and/or work in/around trenches.
It’s also important to point out that:
- For workers’ compensation claims after trench accidents, negligence won’t be a factor in these cases (because Illinois has a no-fault workers’ compensation system).
- Negligence will only be an issue if or when injured construction workers have claims against third parties (i.e., parties other than their employers) who may be responsible for having caused or contributed to the trench accidents.
Mount Vernon Trench Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
At the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon trench accident lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
Contact Us Today
If you have been injured in a trench accident or any type of workplace accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.