Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Southern Illinois
Medical Malpractice Attorneys Mount Vernon
Medical Malpractice Lawyer Mount Vernon, IL. When we need medical care we trust that doctors and physicians will make the correct choices when determining how to best treat our ailments or injuries. Most often they do. However, when a medical professional makes a decision for your health or the health of a family member, and that decision has an adverse or negative effect on your health, they should be held accountable for their error. These cases are not easy, and should not be pursued without the assistance of an experienced and professional lawyer. Hassakis Law has over 60 years of experience in providing excellent legal counseling to Mount Vernon and Illinois residents, and our Medical Malpractice Lawyers are prepared to guide you and your family through your medical malpractice case. If you need more information regarding what constitutes medical malpractice, or what our medical malpractice lawyers in Illinois can do for your claim, call or contact Hassakis Law and our Medical Malpractice Lawyers now for a free consultation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Mount Vernon and Illinois
Medical Malpractice, also known as medical negligence, is when a doctor knowingly makes an error in a decision that affects your health, or when a doctor makes an obviously incorrect decision either in the choice of a surgery, the missed diagnosis of an illness, or the lack of a diagnoses in an illness or condition. As you may see, determining either negligence, or willful misconduct in a medical malpractice claim can be difficult as the intent of the doctor or physician has to be determined and has to be provable. Here are several types of medical malpractice claims that our lawyers pursue:
- Misdiagnosis – Misdiagnosis is when a doctor or physicians fails to diagnose an illness or ailment that another doctor would not have reasonably missed.
- Over/Under-Diagnosis – These types of medical malpractice cases occur when a doctor fails to correctly diagnose the severity of the issue, whether that severity be more or less than what they diagnosed. Diagnosing an ailment as being more serious that it actually is can lead to unnecessary medical treatments or surgeries, and underdiagnosing an ailment can lead to further serious medical complications that would not have arisen with a correct diagnoses.
- Medication Errors – These types of errors arise when a doctor or physicians prescribes the wrong type of medication for your particular ailment. Incorrect medication can lead to further medical issues that can complicate your current ailements
- Surgical Errors – A surgical error happens when a doctor makes an error in your surgery that can adversely affect the outcome of the surgery, and your health following the operation.
- Medical Negligence – Medical Negligence can arise from either a willful intent to delay or disregard certain health conditions or options you may need. A physician that does not take your ailments or injuries serious because they think you are either overestimating your illness, or because they don’t believe you or don’t care has committed medical negligence.
- Wrong Patient Errors – Performing an operation on or prescribing medication or treatments that are prescribed for a different patient is known as wrong patient errors. This can happen when a doctor or physician confuses two patients and fails to correct the issue before prescribing a treatment.
- Incorrect Surgery or Surgery Site Error – Performing a surgery on the wrong part of the body or the wrong organ can have incredibly adverse health effects. These types of errors show huge amounts of negligence, and can cause serious and lasting health consequences for the patient. Here is more information regarding the seriousness of wrong-site surgery errors.
- Death Resulting from Medical Negligence – Whether it be from a failure to diagnose, a missed or underdiagnosed issue, surgical errors, or another type of medical error, a death that results from medical negligence is a serious medical malpractice claim.
If you or someone you care for is suffering from any of the above types of medical malpractice, or another issue or reason that you believe is arising because of either a lack of medical treatment, or an error or failure in medical treatment by a doctor or physician, our Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers are willing to help you with your claim. In a medical malpractice case, experience matters, and the Hassakis Law Firm has over 60 years of pursuing medical malpractice claims for Mount Vernon and Illinois residents. For a free consultation regarding your medical malpractice claim, contact our medical malpractice lawyers now.
What steps should I take if I’ve been a victim of Medical Malpractice?
If you believe you’ve been the victim of medical malpractice, the first steps you should take are crucial in protecting your claim. Speaking with an experienced medical malpractice attorney should always be the initial step, but if you aren’t able to immediately speak with an attorney, here are the steps you can take:
- First, make sure that you have all of the documentation regarding the diagnoses the doctor or physician made regarding your health or ailment. These documents are important to a medical malpractice case because they can determine whether or not a correct decision regarding your health was made from the beginning.
- Secondly, obtain any documentation regarding medicines, procedures, or rehabilitation that were prescribed following your diagnoses. If the incorrect treatment for your ailment was prescribed, this could be used to substantiate your medical malpractice claim.
- The third step you should take is documenting what medicine,
treatment, or procedure you actually received, and whether or not it was a positive or negative effect towards your health.
- Fourth, if an error did arise from medical negligence, misdiagnoses, or another medically related decision, what steps did your doctor or physician take to correct the error. Documenting your doctor’s response to the error is also crucial to your claim.
Collecting and documenting this information is vital to any medical malpractice claim. With these documents, our Illinois Medical Malpractice Attorneys will be able to protect your claim and see to it that the doctor or physician who endangered your health will be held liable to the fullest extent of the law.
How can Mount Vernon Medical Malpractice Attorney help my claim?
Knowing which steps to take following a medical malpractice incident can be difficult. You may still be suffering from the effects of the error, and may not be thinking clearly regarding your legal rights. Contacting an experienced and professional Medical Malpractice Attorney can be the difference between a successful medical error claim, and a substantially reduced case. Our Illinois medical malpractice attorneys know the most effective routes to use when collecting evidence and know which statutes apply to which cases of medical malpractice and can use this knowledge to defend your claim.
The Doctor or Physician is going to have lawyers protecting their practice and their best interests, so you will absolutely need a lawyer to protect yours. Fighting a medical malpractice case by yourself is not advised as the other parties lawyer may get you to agree to either concession regarding your settlement/recovery, or may trap you with documents to trick you into clearing the doctor of any wrong-doing regarding your claim. Our Mount Vernon Medical Malpractice Attorneys have defeated these tactics before and can do so for you. For a free consultation regarding your Illinois medical malpractice claim, call or contact our medical error lawyers now.
Serving Southern Illinois for 60 Plus Years
Demetri Hassakis opened this law firm in 1950 to provide high-quality representation to the people of Southern Illinois. Now over Sixty Years later, his son, Mark D. Hassakis, continues that proud tradition.
All of our lawyers are from Southern Illinois. We know the people here and can help you. Call our office at (618)-244-5335 or contact us online for a free consultation. We also drive to wherever you are in the area, at no extra cost to you. We also have offices in Mount Vernon, Mount Carmel, Effingham, Belleville, Vandalia, Olney, and Marion, Illinois.
Spanish translation services available. Servicios de Traducción en Español Disponibles.
Greek translation services available. μιλούν ελληνικά.