The coal mining industry is one of the most dangerous industries to be employed in, as coal miners are far more likely than other workers in private industry to sustain serious on-the-job injuries, reports the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
In fact, according to the latest statistics:
- The fatality rate for coal miners is about 6 times greater than it is for all private industry in the U.S.
- The rate of nonfatal injuries for coal miners is about 13 percent higher than it is for all private industry in the U.S.
- When coal miners are hurt on the job, they are three times more likely than other workers in private industry to miss work as a result of their injuries.
Common Types of Coal Mining Accidents and Injuries
While the above statistics may be jaw-dropping, they may make more sense when considering some of the inherent risks and dangers associated with coal mining work.
In fact, some common job-related risks that coal miners face include (but are by no means limited to):
- Blasts and explosions, which are typically used to break up rock and which can cause life-threatening injuries when blasts are detonated too early, misfires occur and/or workers are in the line of fly rocks
- Exposure to toxic chemicals or hazardous gases, which may be present in the ground or be used as part of the mining operations
- Mine collapses, which can be a threat when explosives are not properly used or when underground mining operations are not set up according to federal regulations
- Mining equipment malfunctions, which can arise when workers are not properly trained, equipment is not adequately maintained or the equipment was inherently faulty.
When these types of mining accidents occur, miners can sustain injuries that include (but are by no means exclusive to):
- Head and brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Loss of limbs
Contact a Mount Vernon Workers Compensation Lawyer at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
If you have been injured on the job or have been diagnosed with an occupational disease, a Mount Vernon workers compensation lawyer at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. is ready to provide you with vigorous legal advocacy while helping you obtain the benefits you may deserve.
Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
Contact us today by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form on this page to get more information about your best options for financial recovery. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.