Picking up from where Agricultural Worker Injuries: A Look at the Statistics & Facts (Pt. 1) left off, here, we will continue our discussion by focusing on some of the statistics related to the incidence of agricultural worker injuries in the U.S.
Agricultural Worker Injuries: How Often Do These Injuries Occur in the U.S.?
The following statistics regarding agricultural worker injuries have been compiled and presented by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These stats are from 2012, the most recent year for which statistics regarding agricultural worker injuries are available:
- In 2012, the rate of fatal agricultural worker injuries was about 20.2 per very 100,000 farm workers.
- The number one cause of fatal agricultural worker injuries is tractor overturns. While Roll-Over Protective Structures (ROPS) are the best way to prevent tractor overturns, currently, less than 60 percent of the tractors in the U.S. are equipped with this essential safety equipment.
- Each year in the U.S., an average of 113 people younger than 20 years old die as a result of sustaining agricultural worker injuries. More than 1 in 3 of these fatalities effect individuals between the ages of 16 and 19 years old.
- When fatal agricultural worker injuries affect people younger than 20 years old, the most common causes of these injuries are:
- Complications with heavy machinery, which cause about 23 percent of these fatalities
- Motor vehicle accidents, , which cause nearly 20 percent of these deaths
- Drowning incidents, which cause about 16 percent of these fatalities
- Every day in the U.S., about 167 non-fatal agricultural worker injuries occur and cause the impacted workers to miss at least one day of work. About 5 percent of these agricultural worker injuries result in irreversible impairments.
For the conclusion to our discussion regarding agricultural worker injuries, be sure to check out the upcoming third part of this blog!
Mount Vernon Workers Compensation Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt at work? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon workers compensation lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights.
Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible benefits for their work injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.