The agricultural industry is one of the most hazardous industries for people to work in, according to officials at the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). While legislators and regulators have done a lot of work over the past few decades to try to improve the protections for farmers and agricultural workers, there are still some significant and potentially deadly risks that these workers face every day they go to work.
In this three-part blog series, we will take a closer look at the types, incidence and causes of agricultural worker injuries in the U.S. If you or someone you love has sustained any agricultural worker injuries, don’t hesitate to contact the experienced Mount Vernon workers compensation lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Most Common Types of Agricultural Worker Injuries
Some of the more common types of agricultural worker injuries include (but are by no means limited to):
- Crushing injuries – While these agricultural worker injuries typically occur when tractors overturn, they can also take place when any heavy farming equipment falls over on workers.
- Falling injuries – These agricultural worker injuries tend to take place when workers fall from farm buildings, grain bins, ladders and/or farm equipment.
- Loss of limb and disfigurement – Generally, these types of injuries occur when farm workers become entangled in heavy machinery.
- Illness or injuries related to pesticide exposure – While these agricultural worker injuries can occur when workers don’t know how to properly handle pesticides, they can also arise when equipment leaks, exposing farm workers to potentially toxic pesticides.
Other types of agricultural worker injuries that occur less frequently but are, nevertheless, serious and possibly life-threatening can include:
- Animal attacks or animal-related crushing incidents
- Burn injuries
We will continue this discussion about agricultural worker injuries in a second and third part of this blog series that will be published soon – make sure you check them out!
Mount Vernon Workers Compensation Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt at work? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon workers compensation lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex workers compensation system. While our attorneys are committed to aggressively defending our clients’ rights, we are also counselors who can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.