Days ago, Boston Scientific Corp. announced that it would pay $119 million to resolve close to 3,000 transvaginal mesh injury lawsuits currently pending in federal court. According to this announcement, the settlement offer:
- Is only preliminary in nature at this point
- “Does not constitute an admission or concession by the company of any liability or wrongdoing.”
As of February 2015, upwards of 25,000 transvaginal mesh lawsuits were pending against Boston Scientific, which reportedly has set aside about $1.1 billion to cover the expenses associated with this mesh injury litigation.
Allegations in these Vaginal Mesh Injury Case: Background
The news of this potential settlement seems to be promising for the plaintiffs, some of whom have sustained life-altering, painful complications due to the use of defective transvaginal mesh devices. In fact, as these mesh injury cases generally contend, Boston Scientific was negligent in:
- Adequately testing the safety of these devices before marketing them as safe and effective
- Failing to warn the public about the serious risks associated with these devices – In fact, the FDA has warned that severe complications when using vaginal mesh devices are NOT rare, as about 10 percent of women need risky, invasive revision surgery within five years of implantation.
The Next Steps…
At this point, the next steps may be to submit the settlement offer to the judge for review and approval. It’s important to note, however, that even if the judge approves the offer:
- The plaintiffs in these cases are under no obligation to accept the offer. In fact, they should have an experienced lawyer review the offer first to ensure it appropriately compensates them for their injuries and losses.
- Boston Scientific may still pull the offer off of the table at a later point, as it’s reasonable to predict that it will include minimum acceptance rate provisions in the offer (meaning that, if enough plaintiffs do not accept the offer, Boston Scientific could rescind it).
Mount Vernon Personal Injury Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt by a defective medical device – or by any faulty consumer product? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon personal injury lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights.
Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on their recovery and future.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.