Since 1977, the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has been focused on trying to minimize the incidence of coal mining accidents in the U.S. and improve on-the-job safety for coal mining workers. Despite its vigilance and enforcement of various safety regulations, unfortunately, coal mining accidents still occur, leaving some workers permanent injured – and other families grieving the loss of their loved ones.
In this two-part blog, we will take a closer look at some coal mining accident statistics to highlight the prevalence of these accidents in the U.S. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a coal mining accident, don’t hesitate to contact our Southern Illinois coal mining accident lawyers for more info about your rights and best options for getting the compensation you likely deserve.
The Prevalence of Coal Mine Accidents in the U.S.
- So far in 2014, there have been 8 deaths due to coal mining accidents in the U.S.
- Over the past few years, the incidence of fatal coal mining accidents has remained fairly constant. In fact, every year since 2011, there have been about 20 or so fatal coal mining accidents in the U.S. This has, however, reflected a reduction in the number of national coal mining deaths that have occurred since 2010, when nearly 50 people reportedly died in fatal coal mining accidents.
- While explosions of gas and/or dust in coal mines tends to be the most common cause of fatal coal mining accident injuries, other factors that regularly cause these accidents include:
- Objects falling on people
- Various types of falling accidents (including falling off of roofs or high pathways, slip and fall accidents, etc.)
- Mishandling hazardous and/or toxic materials
- Machinery accidents
- Motor vehicle and transportation-related accidents.
For more coal mining accident facts and statistics, be sure to check out the upcoming second installment of this blog.
Mount Vernon Coal Mining Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon and Southern Illinois coal mining accidents lawyers have been dedicated to providing client-centered representation to our clients since 1950. We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process.
In fact, when injured people trust us to oversee their claims, they can rely on us to do everything possible to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a coal mining accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.