Truck drivers are no longer allowed to use handheld mobile devices to make calls, text or check their emails when they are driving, according to new regulations instituted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Taking effect at the end of March 2014, these new FMCSA regulations specifically prohibit truckers from:
- Holding a cellphone or other mobile device while they are operating commercial vehicles
- Pushing more than one button to call or text anyone
- Unbuckling their seatbelts or moving from their seats to even reach for a cellphone or handheld mobile device
- Reading or typing text messages on handheld mobile devices
- Using any type of messaging system or accessing the Internet on handheld devices.
Instead, truckers are now only allowed to make calls while they are driving by using voice-activated systems or one-button dial systems.
The purpose of this new FMCSA ban on handheld mobile devices for truck drivers is to reduce the number of truck accidents caused by distracted driving.
Enforcement: Fines for Violating the New FMCSA Regulation for Handheld Devices
The FMCSA is serious about the enforcement of its new regulation that has banned the use of handheld mobile devices for truck drivers. To this end, the FMCSA has set for the following penalties for violations of this regulation:
- Truck drivers who use handheld devices while driving can be fined up to $2,750 per incident.
- Trucking companies responsible for these drivers could face fines of up to $11,000 per violation.
- A truck driver’s continued violation of these regulations could lead to the suspension or revocation of his or her commercial driver’s license.
- Continued violations for a trucking company could result in the maximum possible impacts to the company’s SMS (Safety Measurement System).
Mount Vernon Truck Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
If you have been injured in a truck accident that may have involved distracted driving, contact the experienced Mount Vernon truck accident lawyers at the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. We have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you ready to learn more about your rights and how to move forward with your truck accident claim, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.