Concluding our two-part blog 4 Most Common Causes of Teen Driver Car Accidents, below is a continued discussion of the factors that tend to be at play when teen drivers cause car accidents.
Because all of the factors discussed in this blog involve negligence, it’s crucial that people injured in teen driver car accidents consult with the Mount Vernon car accident lawyers at Hassakis & Hassakis after these collisions to find out if they are entitled to compensation for their injuries and losses.
Cause 3: Drunk Driving
Although every state in the U.S. has Zero Tolerance laws for underage drivers who are intoxicated, many new teen drivers still make the reckless decision to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol, and this reportedly leads to more than 500 fatalities each year in the U.S.
The facts are that:
- Drunk driving significantly impairs motorists’ perception and abilities, and these impairments can be far more dangerous for teen drivers who already lack experience behind the wheel.
- Drunk driving is an entirely preventable cause of fatal accidents.
Cause 4: Reckless Driving
Making the intentional choice to disobey traffic laws and drive recklessly is another common cause of teen driver car accidents. In fact, as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports:
- Teen drivers are about 2.5 times more likely to drive recklessly when they have even just one other teenager in their vehicle.
- This rate increases proportionally as the number of teen passengers in the vehicle increases, as the risk of reckless driving triples when multiple teenagers are present in the cars of teen motorists.
Along with speeding, the reckless driving choices that teens purposefully engage in (likely to show off to their passengers or due to the fact that they are distracted by their passengers) include (but are not limited to):
- Running red lights
- Cutting off and/or tailgating other drivers
- Failing to stop at highway-rail guardrails (when there is a warning that a train is approaching).
Mount Vernon Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you been injured by a reckless teen driver? Or has any motorist’s negligence caused your car accident injuries? If so, it’s time to contact the experienced Mount Vernon car accident lawyers at the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. Since 1950, we have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients who have been injured in various types of motor vehicle accidents. Our attorneys can always be trusted to focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the highest possible settlements for their losses and injuries so they can focus on their recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
Contact Us Today
For a free, no obligations professional case evaluation, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with advice regarding your best options for obtaining compensation and justice after car accidents.