An Illinois-based trucking company has recently been shut down by transportation safety regulators at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for rampant “critical safety” violations that “substantially increased the likelihood of serious injury or death to… the public.”
The Violations that Led to the Shutdown
The company – Rhino Displays (USDOT No.1474447) – came onto the FMCSA’s radar in May 2015 when regulators were made aware of the fact that a Rhino truck had transported fireworks to a stadium in Missouri. Rhino had apparently shut down its fireworks transportation services in July 2010 when the company sent the FMCSA an official notice of this shutdown.
When FMCSA investigators took a closer look at this incident, they soon discovered that the violations in question were far more extensive. In particular, investigators found that:
- Fireworks had been transported in open containers.
- Boxes containing fireworks had not been secured within the truck.
- The truck driver didn’t have a valid CDL, a valid medical certificate or a valid hazardous materials endorsement (HMSP).
- The truck didn’t have hazmat placarding on it.
- Alcohol had been carried in the truck.
- The truck didn’t have a fire extinguisher, as is required by federal law.
What Has to Be Done to Lift the FMCSA Shutdown
For Rhino to get the FMCSA’s shutdown lifted, here are just some of the things the company will have to do, according to the federal out-of-service order issued on June 4th:
- Institute safety management controls and procedures “that ensure that each driver it employs will comply with cargo securement requirements” and “that ensure that each driver… possess a valid CDL”
- Mandate that its drivers never transport alcohol while on duty
- Mandate that its drivers maintain accurate on-duty records
- Secure HMSP before transporting hazardous materials.
What do you think about this FMCSA shutdown? Sound off on our Facebook & Google+ pages.
Mount Vernon Truck Accident Lawyer at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt in a truck accident? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon truck accident lawyer at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights. Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex legal process.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.