Whether you drive as part of your job or you rely on driving to get around in your day-to-day life, you are likely on the road often and, as a result, will likely get into at least one traffic accident in your life. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that:
- A motor vehicle accident occurs on a U.S. roadway every 10 seconds.
- American drivers will be involved in at least one car accident every 5 years.
Given these statistics, it’s important that you know what you should do in the aftermath of a car accident so that you can protect your rights to compensation from:
- Your insurance company
- Another driver’s insurance company
- A car accident lawsuit if you ultimately choose to file one against potentially negligent drivers.
Specifically, after a car accident, you should:
- Determine if anyone needs emergency medical care: If you have not been severely injured in the collision, the first thing you should do is check the passengers in your vehicle and all other individuals in the other involved vehicles to see if anyone has been seriously injured. If so, make sure to inform 911 operators of this so that they can send the proper number of emergency medical responders to the scene.
- Call police and wait for them to arrive at the scene: Once you have called police, make sure you wait at the scene of the accident until police have arrived – and until they tell you that it’s OK for you to leave. If you decide to leave before police get there, you could be slapped with criminal “hit-and-run” or “leaving the scene of an accident charges (and these can be filed as felonies if anyone was seriously hurt in the collision).
For more life hacks for drivers who have been in car accidents, see the upcoming Part 2 of this blog.
Mount Vernon Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon motor vehicle accident lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you have been injured in any type of traffic accident, or if you have lost a loved one in a fatal motor vehicle accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.