Picking up from Nursing Errors and Medical Malpractice Claims (Part 1), the following continues the discussion regarding nursing negligence and how it can cause patients to develop serious, possibly fatal, injuries. While Part 1 of this blog focused on pointing out some of the most common types of mistakes that nurses can make when caring for patients, here in Part 2, we will discuss some of the circumstances that can substantially increase the possibility that nurses will make mistakes when they are administering care to patients.
When Nursing Errors Are Most Likely to Occur…
Some of the specific circumstances that can dramatically increase the chances that nurses will make mistakes and, consequently, injure patients include (but are not limited to) the following:
- When hospitals or medical facilities do not hire enough nurses
- When medical facilities fail to conduct the necessary background checks on nurses prior to hiring them (Such background checks can be critical to disclosing whether, for example, a particular individual has a history of negligence and/or criminal behaviors.)
- When medical facilities require nurses to work especially long shifts
- When medical facilities fail to provide nurses with essential supplies or the medical equipment necessary to provide the care that patients need (This can mean that either facilities entirely lack the necessary supplies or equipment, that there is insufficient supplies/equipment to go around and/or that the equipment is out-of-date or not properly working.)
- When nurses are required to look after an excessive number of patients during a given shift (and, as a result, do not have the time to regularly check up on patients as needed)
- When nurses may have an alcohol and/or drug addiction problem.
Mount Vernon Malpractice Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon malpractice lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you have been injured as a result of a nurse or any medical professional making mistakes during your treatments or care, or if you have lost a loved one due to any type of medical mistake, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.