As our parents, grandparents and other relatives grow older and require extra care on a daily basis, moving them into a nursing home may seem like the best option for families. Unfortunately, however, our loved ones may be the targets of nursing home abuse or neglect, and when this happens:
- Your abused or neglected loved one may sustain severe or possibly even life-threatening injuries.
- The damage can be psychological, as well as physical and financial.
- You can sue the negligent or abusive person (or facility that allowed this abuse to occur) and seek compensation for the injuries and losses your loved one has suffered.
The following nursing home abuse statistics underscore just how often this type of abuse takes place in U.S. nursing homes every year. These statistics have been put together and published by various credible organizations, including (but not limited to) the National Center on Elder Abuse and the American Association for Justice:
- Nursing home abuse and neglect happens at as many as 1 in every 3 nursing home facilities in the U.S.
- Approximately 10 percent of the 1.4 million people in nursing homes in the U.S. will be the victims of some type of abuse or neglect while they stay at these facilities. This is about 140,000 individuals who end up being nursing home abuse victims.
- Tragically, researchers estimate that only about 1 out of every 14 cases of nursing home abuse and neglect every get reported to law enforcement officials.
Look for the forthcoming second part of this blog for additional facts and statistics associated with nursing home abuse and neglect in the U.S.
Mount Vernon Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon nursing home abuse lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our skilled attorneys put our clients’ needs first, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the highest possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on their recovery and future.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
We Invite You to Learn More During a Free Case Evaluation
If you suspect that your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward with your claim.