Concluding the two-part blog Misdiagnoses and Medical Malpractice Claims, here, we will highlight some shocking statistics related to the occurrence of diagnostic errors in U.S. medical facilities. These misdiagnoses and diagnostic error statistics have been put together by various reputable sources, including (but not limited to) the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Center for Policy Analysis and the National Cancer Institute.
- Between 10 and 20 percent of all medical cases are misdiagnosed by American doctors every year.
- Misdiagnoses and failure to diagnose are more common medical mistakes than both medication errors (like prescribing the wrong types or amounts of medications) and surgical errors (like leaving surgical tools in patients or performing surgery on the wrong area of the body). However, since medication and surgery errors are more frequently publicized than diagnostic errors, the perception is generally that they occur more often.
- As many as 28 percent of all diagnostic errors result in permanent and/or fatal complications for patients.
- Failure to diagnose and other types of diagnostic errors are responsible for killing the same number of Americans as breast cancer – about 40,500 people annually.
- In many cases, the doctors who are responsible for diagnostic errors never find out about their mistakes because patients simply stop seeing them and go to another medical professional.
- More than 50 percent of doctors involved in a recent survey reported that, within the past month, they have treated at least one patient who was improperly diagnosed.
- Patients have the greatest risk of being injured by diagnostic errors when they seek treatment from emergency rooms or urgent care clinics. This is because the doctors at these medical facilities typically have very little time to diagnose patients and often have to start administering treatments as soon as possible (as many patients are facing life-threatening conditions, injuries or illnesses).
Mount Vernon Malpractice Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon malpractice lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
Learn More about Your Rights and Possible Case
If you have been injured as a result of a nurse or any medical professional making mistakes during your diagnosis, treatments or care, or if you have lost a loved one due to any type of medical mistake, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.