The Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals and the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission (OSHRC) have recently upheld two serious OSHA citations issued to employers who allegedly failed to provide adequate on-the-job protections to their employees.
These OSHA citations included:
- One issued in September 2011 to Ohio-based Absolute Roofing & Construction, Inc. – With this OSHA citation, OSHA officials had reportedly witnessed a contractor for the roofing company working on a steep roof without any fall protections whatsoever (which is a serious violation of OSHA regulations).
Although the employer tried to appeal this citation by claiming that the “employee” was a contractor, the appeals court upheld the OSHA citation.
- Another issued in 2012 to the U.S. Postal Service – This citation was issued after a USPS worker died as a result of excessive heat exposure.
Although USPS attempted to appeal this OSHA citation, OSHRC denied the appeal, ruling that OSHA had gotten it right when citing USPS for failing to protect its employees who work outside during the hot summer months from excessive and dangerous heat exposure. As a result, USPS will still be required to pay the $70,000 fine associated with its OSHA citation.
With an appellate court and the OSHRC upholding OSHA’s citations, the message to employers throughout the U.S. is clearly the following:
- Make sure that you have sufficient protections in place for your workers.
- Train your workers on the essential safety protocols that are in place.
- OSHA will be watching and will penalize you if you don’t live up to these standards and/or such failures of compliance lead to your workers being hurt or sustaining fatal on-the-job injuries.
Mount Vernon Workers’ Compensation Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt while working? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon workers’ compensation lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights.
Since 1950, we have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible benefits for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
Contact Us Today
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.