While we trust medical professionals to make informed, reasonable choices regarding our care, unfortunately, they may not always do so, causing you or a loved one to sustain serious injuries. Such instances can constitute medical malpractice, and it’s important for patients to know the warning signs of malpractice so they know when to seek legal counsel regarding their rights and potentially seeking compensation from negligent medical professionals.
The following are some common warning signs that medical malpractice may have taken place:
- Doctors or other medical professionals do not provide you with clear answers regarding your care or condition, particularly when you are directly asking them questions.
- Your condition does not improve or even gets worse despite the care you are receiving (while it’s important to note that some conditions will naturally defy treatments, failure to improve after receiving treatments can be an indication that you were not properly diagnosed or that you are not receiving the proper treatments).
- Doctors or other medical professionals refuse to administer treatments or testing you request without providing you with a reasonable explanation for doing so.
- You receive a significantly different diagnosis or prognosis from another doctor (and after seeking treatment under this other doctor, your condition does improve).
- You need to undergo multiple surgeries to fix complications with an initial procedure that was supposed to treat your condition.
- Your hospital stay is extended well beyond your initial expectations.
- You have a severely negative reaction to treatment or medications that your doctor or other medical professionals did not warn you about.
Because medical malpractice can take a number of different forms and the results of malpractice can have lifelong negative consequences, it’s important that individuals who suspect they have been the victims of malpractice consult with an experienced lawyer for a thorough evaluation of their case.
Mount Vernon Medical Malpractice Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon medical malpractice lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one and you suspect that a doctor’s or nurse’s negligence may be to blame, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.