Although all riders and drivers on Illinois roadways are required to obey the general traffic laws of the state, there are some specific laws that only apply to motorcycle riders, and failing to abide by these laws when riding can result in:
- Expensive tickets
- Points being added to a rider’s driver’s license
- Potential loss of a driver’s license (if the rider has committed previous traffic offenses)
- Increased insurance rates.
Given these potential consequences, it’s important that riders are aware of Illinois motorcycle laws, some of which stipulate the following:
- Riders are not required to wear safety helmets when riding motorcycles.
- Riders are required to wear eye protection or, instead, to have windscreens on motorcycles (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 11-1404).
- Riders are not legally permitted to split lanes in order to pass other vehicles (Illinois Vehicle Code, 11-703).
- Riders can co-ride (meaning that two riders can ride alongside of each other within a single lane).
- Passenger seats (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 11-1403(a)) and footrests (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 11-1405) are required when passengers are riding on motorcycles (though there is no age limit or restriction regarding passengers).
- Handlebars are required to be below the rider’s head height (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 11-1403(c)), and daytime headlights must be used at all times (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 12-1201(a)).
- Motorcycles must be equipped with a right- and left-side mirror (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 12-102), and they must also be equipped with mufflers that are not modified to increase or amplify noise levels (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 12-602).
- Motorcycles do not have to be equipped with turn signals.
- Motorcycles are not required to undergo a periodic safety inspection.
Because Illinois motorcycle laws are regularly updated, it’s important that riders stay abreast of these changes in order to avoid traffic tickets and to do their best to minimize their risk of getting into accidents.
Mount Vernon Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon motorcycle accident lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident or in any type of traffic accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.