Although the leading cause of car accidents in the U.S. is some form of driver error (e.g., driver intoxication, driver distraction, driver fatigue, etc.), motor vehicle collisions can also be caused by defects with and malfunctions of vehicle equipment. Examples of vehicle equipment failures include (but are not limited to) malfunctions with a car’s:
- Braking system, which could result in a slower brake reaction time or prevent the brakes from working altogether
- Computer, which could prevent any of a car’s electronic systems from operating properly
- Tires, which could cause blowouts, loss of traction or tire punctures
- Steering, which could seize up and prevent drivers from being able to control cars.
While some instances of vehicle equipment failures may be caused by a driver’s failure to properly maintain his car (i.e., by not getting his car regularly serviced or not replacing old or deteriorating mechanisms on the car when necessary), in other cases, a vehicle manufacturer can be responsible for such malfunctions that increase the risk of serious car accidents. When vehicle makers have cut corners, used weak or cheap materials to make certain vehicle components and/or have failed to adequately safety test these components:
- They may issue national recalls to try to fix faulty vehicle equipment once it’s known that such components can increase the risk of (or have caused) car accidents.
- They can be named as defendants in car accident lawsuits.
- Victims of car accidents caused by such equipment failures will likely be entitled to compensation for their injuries, property damage, losses and mental anguish.
Mount Vernon Car Accident Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon car accident lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. If you have lost a loved one due to any type of injury due to vehicle accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.