Picking up from where we left off in Part 1 of this blog series, here, we’ll point out some more essential things to do if you are ever the victim of a hit-and-run accident. Following these tips can be crucial to tracking down the irresponsible motorist who hit you and/or to protecting your future claim to compensation.
After Hit-and-Runs: More Important Steps to Take
3 – Report the hit-and-run accident to police ASAP.
After hit-and-runs, calling police right away to report the accident is important for various reasons, including that:
- Police can help you deal with the immediate aftermath – Like any other traffic accident, hit-and-runs can cause a lot of wreckage, and it can be extremely helpful to have police at the scene to help divert traffic, coordinate the cleanup efforts, etc.
- There will be a police report for the accident – When police respond the scene of a hit-and-run accident, they will write a report for that accident as part of their investigation. This report can be crucial to backing up your version of how the accident happened later when, for instance, it’s time to report the collision to insurers to file a claim for compensation.
- Police can help you try to identify and locate the driver who fled – Depending on the type and amount of info you are able to give police about the driver who hit you, it can be possible for police to ID and track down that motorist. When this is possible, you can sue that motorist in civil court.
4 – Get medical treatment ASAP if necessary.
When hit-and-runs are more serious than minor fender benders, victims should not put off getting medical treatment. While getting medical treatment ASAP is, of course, crucial to physical recovery, it can also be important to their financial recovery, as seeing a doctor right away can:
- Verify the nature and severity of victims’ injuries
- Backup victims’ versions of events.
If you end up seeing a few different doctors prior to pursuing financial compensation via an insurance claim (or a lawsuit), then it’s also smart to retain all documents and bills received from these physicians.
Stay posted for the final part of this blog series – it’ll be posted soon.
Mount Vernon Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Were you hit by a motorist who fled the scene? Or have you been hurt in any type of traffic accident? If so, the experienced and trusted Mount Vernon car accident lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. are ready to stand up for your rights.
If you are ready to learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.