Car accidents are among the leading causes of injuries and deaths in the U.S. While some car accidents may be unavoidable, due to, for example, weather conditions or animals in the roadways, in most cases, motor vehicle accidents could be prevented, if not for the negligence or recklessness of some party, such as:
- Another driver
- A bicyclist, motorcycle rider, or pedestrian
- A vehicle equipment manufacturer
- A trucking company
Specific examples of how an individual or company can be negligent and cause a car accident include by:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs (even if the drugs are prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs)
- Driving while fatigued (which some studies show can be as dangerous as driving while intoxicated)
- Texting, talking on cellphones or succumbing to other distractions when driving
- Disobeying traffic laws by, for example, speeding, running red lights, failing to use indicators, failing to use crosswalks, failing to yield to right-of-ways, etc.
- Failing to properly maintain one’s vehicle (or to properly and safely design vehicle parts in the first place)
When negligence plays a role in causing a car accident, injured parties will have a strong personal injury case and should consult with a skilled attorney as soon as their health is no longer in danger. Waiting to meet with a lawyer can result in:
- Car accident victims forgetting critical details of the event.
- The statute of limitations for the case expiring, as car accident victims will only have two years from the date of the motor vehicle crash to file their lawsuit (after two years, they can no longer obtain compensation from negligent parties).
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon car accident lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life. If you or a loved one has sustained any type of injury due to a car or motor vehicle accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 for a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.