Continuing our January blog theme of driving safety, here and in an upcoming second part of this blog, we will take a closer look at some essential motorcycle riding safety tips that can reduce the chances of riders getting into traffic accidents. The following presents the first three riding safety tips that all motorcyclists should practice in order to protect themselves and their passengers:
- Motorcycle riding safety tip #1 – Wear a helmet: Head injuries are the number one cause of motorcycle accident deaths. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has found that riders who don’t wear helmets are about 35 times more likely to sustain a deadly head injury in the event of a motorcycle accident than riders who do wear helmets (that are approved by the Department of Transportation – i.e., are DOT-approved).
This means that, regardless of whether or not you are riding in a state that legally requires riders to wear helmets, make sure that you always wear a DOT-approved helmet when riding. It could save your life.
- Motorcycle riding safety tip #2 – Don’t ride after drinking alcohol: While it’s never advisable to drive a car after drinking alcohol, the same is true for riding after imbibing, as consuming alcohol and riding while “buzzed” (or drunk) has been proven to impair riders’ abilities to:
- Respond to changing road conditions
- Recognize potential dangers
- Safely operate their motorcycles.
- Motorcycle riding safety tip #3 – Try to stay out of drivers’ blind spots: It’s always a good idea to assume that other drivers on the road are not looking out for you when you are riding a motorcycle. So, under this assumption, do your best to avoid riding in other drivers’ blind spots (especially if the other drivers are truck drivers). To this end, it’s also wise to ride defensively so that you are always prepared to respond when other drivers cut you off, change lanes without using their indicators, run red lights, etc.
Look for the upcoming second part of this blog for the final three motorcycle riding safety tips that can help riders minimize their chances of getting into accidents while riding.
Mount Vernon Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon motorcycle accident and personal injury lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, or if you have lost a loved one in a fatal motorcycle accident, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.