Continuing from Burn Injury Accident Facts and Statistics (Part 1)¸ here is some additional information regarding burn injuries. While Part 1 of this blog delved into the various mental, physical and financial effects of burn injuries, as well as some of the more common causes of these types of personal injuries, here in Part 2, we will take a closer look at some burn injury statistics that can highlight the prevalence of burns among different demographics in the U.S.
The following burn injury statistics have been compiled and presented by the American Burn Association:
- Every year, more than 450,000 individuals in the U.S. seek medical treatment for burn injuries. More than 60 percent of these individuals go to burn centers, and approximately 40,000 of these individuals are ultimately hospitalized for their serious burn injuries
- Every year, more than 3,400 Americans die from burn injuries (including smoke inhalation).
- While burn injuries reportedly affect individuals of Caucasian ethnicity more than those of any other ethnicity, men are reportedly more often afflicted with burn injuries than women (at a rate that is more than double the incidence).
- Most burn injuries, particularly those that are life-threatening, are sustained at home, with home fires causing approximately 75 percent of all fatal burn injuries each year in the U.S.
- Work accidents, car accidents and sports accidents are also common causes of burn injuries, as these events cause about 10 percent, 7 percent and 5 percent (respectively) of all burn injuries sustained by individuals in the U.S. each year.
When burn injuries are caused by any type of negligence or recklessness, those who are afflicted with these injuries:
- Will likely have a personal injury claim
- May be able to obtain compensation for their injuries and losses by working with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Mount Vernon Personal Injury Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon personal injury lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you have sustained a mild to serious burn injury, or if you have lost a loved one due to a serious burn injury, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.