Anesthesiology is an extremely complicated field of medicine, as it requires anesthesiologists to precisely calculate and administer the proper amount of anesthesia to patients based on a number of different factors – including (but not limited to):
- A patient’s weight
- A patient’s age
- A patient’s allergies
- A patient’s medical conditions (such as whether a patient has diabetes, a heart condition, a live condition, etc.)
- The length of time that a patient needs to be anesthetized
- Other medications that a patient may be taking and/or may be given for a particular procedure.
With all of these factors to consider, as well as the fact that anesthesiologists may be treating a number of different patients, it’s not uncommon that anesthesia errors can occur and, in turn, cause patients to sustain mild to serious health complications.
When Negligence Causes Anesthesia Errors…
In some cases, a specific negligent or reckless act may result in patients being injured by anesthesia errors, and when this occurs, injured parties will generally be entitled to compensation for their medical bills, health complications, ongoing medical bills and mental anguish. Some specific ways in with negligence may play a role in causing anesthesia errors include the following:
- Anesthesiologists administering the wrong medication
- Anesthesiologists administering too much or too little medication
- Anesthesiologists not being properly trained or adequately experienced before working with patients
- Anesthesiologists failing to follow up with patients and/or failing to recognize possible signs of anesthesia complications (such as signs of blood clotting disorders, stroke, etc.)
- Hospitals assigning too many patients to a single anesthesiologist
- Hospitals creating unreasonable schedules for anesthesiologists (such as by forcing them to work double shifts and/or an excessive number of hour each week).
Mount Vernon Malpractice and Personal Injury Lawyers
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon malpractice and personal injury lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
If you believe that you have been injured as a result of an anesthesia error, or if you have lost a loved one due to any type of medical malpractice, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.