Although doctors are trained medical professionals, they can make mistakes just like any other human. However, when these mistakes occur during the diagnostic process, the results can be catastrophic, especially if:
They cause a person’s severe health problems to worse.
- They delay the administration of life-saving treatments.
- They prevent treatments from being effective (because the condition has progressed too far by the time it has been properly diagnosed).
Such cases of misdiagnoses are more common than you may think, as industry experts and researchers estimate that as many as 1 in 5 patients in the U.S. is the victim of diagnostic errors at some point in his lifetime.
Causes of Diagnosis Errors
Any number of different factors can contribute to a misdiagnosis, with some of the most common causes of diagnostic errors including:
- Medical professionals’ lack of experience and/or training
- Medical professionals’ failure to notice all of a patients’ symptoms
- Medical professionals’ failure to conduct enough diagnostic testing before making an official diagnosis
- Mishandling of blood samples (or other samples) that are used in diagnostic testing
- Misreading test results (which could be related to experience or training issues or simple carelessness)
- Testing equipment malfunctions or failures (in such cases, however, it’s usually up to the technician operating such equipment to keep the equipment maintained and properly working)
- Lack of time to conduct thorough diagnostic testing (which may be a more common issue in emergency rooms, urgent care clinics and/or intensive care units)
Be sure to look for our upcoming second part of this blog for more eye-opening statistics regarding diagnostic errors in the U.S.
The Mount Vernon Malpractice Lawyers at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
At the law firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., our experienced Mount Vernon malpractice lawyers have been providing client-centered representation to our Southern Illinois clients since 1950. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
We take pride in tailoring our legal representation to specifically meet our clients’ needs and in expertly guiding them through each stage of the complex the legal process. While our attorneys are aggressive and effective litigators both inside and outside of the courtroom, we are also counselors that can provide our clients with helpful legal advice regarding their best options.
Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation
If you have been injured as a result of a nurse or any medical professional making mistakes during your diagnosis, treatments or care, or if you have lost a loved one due to any type of medical mistake, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.