Workplace injuries can be as physically devastating as they may be financially draining. In fact, while the costs of workplace injuries will impact the injured workers and their families, these expenses can also affect employers, particularly in terms of workers’ compensation costs.
Below, we’ll take a closer look at the top five workplace injuries sustained by American workers, as well as what the costs of these injuries are. While the info discussed herein is based on research from Liberty Mutual (based on 2012 data), when you need experienced help with your financial recovery after sustaining a workplace injury, you can turn to a trusted Mount Vernon workers comp lawyer at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis.
Most Common Workplace Injuries and Their Costs
The top five work injuries, which accounted for more than 65 percent of the 2012 workers’ compensation costs for U.S. employers, include:
- Overexertion injuries, which cost upwards of $15 billion, reflecting more than 25 percent of the overall U.S. workers compensation costs in 2012
- Falling injuries resulting from falls occurring on the same level, which cost about $9.19 billion, representing more than 15 percent of the overall workers’ comp costs
- Injuries caused by being struck by objects, which cost about $5.3 billion, reflecting nearly 9 percent of the total workers’ comp costs
- Falling injuries resulting from falls to lower levels, which cost upwards of $5 billion, representing more than 8 percent of the overall workers’ comp costs
- Injuries caused by other exertions, which cost just over $4.25 billion, representing more than 7 percent of the overall workers’ comp costs.
Rounding out the top 10 most common and costly workplace injuries are the following (in ascending order):
- Injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents
- Injuries incurred from slip and tripping accidents (without falls)
- Injuries caused by becoming entangled in equipment
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Injuries caused by striking objects or equipment.
In total, the top 10 most common work injuries reportedly represent more than 83 percent of the overall workers’ compensation costs to U.S. employers.
Mount Vernon Workers Comp Lawyer at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C.
Have you or a loved one been hurt at work? If so, an experienced and trusted Mount Vernon workers comp lawyer at the Law Firm of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. is ready to stand up for your rights.
Since 1950, our attorneys have been providing the highest quality legal services and representation to our clients. Our trusted attorneys focus on our clients’ needs, we are passionate about our clients, and we do everything we can to help them get the maximum possible compensation for their losses and injuries so they can focus on recovery and moving on with their life.
To learn more about your best legal options and how we can help you, contact us by calling (888) 896-9381 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the page. We can provide you with a free, thorough assessment of your case, along with professional advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward.