Wrongful Death Attorneys in Granite City Illinois
Wrongful Death Attorney Granite City Illinois. Because of the dangerous and negligent actions of an individual, business, or corporation, your loved one has passed. No amount of compensation or legal action will ever replace your loved one, but it can help you and your family recover during this difficult and trying time. While you and your family focus on honoring and remembering your loved one, our wrongful death attorneys in Granite City can and will fight on your family’s behalf to ensure that those who’s negligent and dangerous actions caused the passing of your loved one are held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.
The Granite City Wrongful Death Attorneys at Hassakis Law have been fighting for Illinois families for over 60 years and will continue to do so. We understand the pain and anguish that you and your family are enduring after the wrongful death of your loved one, and we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal counseling and advice in your wrongful death case. The moment you contact us for services, we will aggressively litigate and fight against those who have so severely harmed your family, and ensure that you and your loved ones are completely provided for and protected during your claim, and afterward. We will ensure that the memory of your loved one is honored, and that you and your family are compensated for your loss.
What Constitutes a Wrongful Death Claim?
“Sec. 1. Whenever the death of a person shall be caused by wrongful act, neglect or default, and the act, neglect or default is such as would, if death had not ensued, have entitled the party injured to maintain an action and recover damages in respect thereof, then and in every such case the person who or company or corporation which would have been liable if death had not ensued, shall be liable to an action for damages, notwithstanding the death of the person injured, and although the death shall have been caused under such circumstances as amount in law to felony. No action may be brought under this Act if the decedent had brought a cause of action with respect to the same underlying incident or occurrence which was settled or on which judgment was rendered. ”
When you’ve lost someone you care deeply for because of the actions of a negligent party, and would not have if that accident had not occurred, then a wrongful death claim can be pursued. To successfully pursue a wrongful death claim, these criteria often must be met:
- The Passing of A Loved One – For a wrongful death case to be pursued, a loved one has to have passed from the negligent actions of another, actions that would have resulted in compensation had they lived. A wrongful death case cannot be pursued before someone’s passing.
- The Negligence of another, Or Willful Intent to Cause Harm – Wrongful death claims require that the responsible party acted negligently, or willfully, and that the accident that caused the death could have been avoided.
- Family Members are Suffering Financially – A financial burden that would otherwise not exist is now placed upon the family.
- Family Members are Suffering from the Loss – The family is now suffering from the loss of their loved one, and is now eligible to seek financial compensation for their hardship.
If your loved one passed and their passing meets any of the required criteria above, our wrongful death attorneys in Granite City can and will assist you in pursuing a wrongful death claim. We care about Illinois families because we are Illinois families. Our Granite City Wrongful Death Attorneys can help you and your family recover.
What types of Wrongful Death Claims do you Pursue?
Accidents, or knowingly dangerous accidents and procedures can occur anywhere at any time, and due to this fact, a wrongful death case can be filed in every category of personal injury law. Whether it be a death caused by a car accident, work accident, or even medical malpractice, our wrongful death lawyers have years of experience fighting for the families of loved ones who have passed because of negligence and avoidable accidents. Our Wrongful Death Lawyers pursue these types of wrongful death cases and more:
- Truck/Trailer Accident – The Force involved in tractor-trailer accidents is tremendous, and because of the dangers associated with a tractor-trailer accident, truck drivers must adhere to certain protocols when operating their vehicles. If they don’t, and your loved one passed because of their negligence, you can pursue a wrongful death claim against the driver and their company.
- Car Crashes – Car Accidents are one of the main causes of wrongful death. The force involved in the accident and the ensuing injuries can often be fatal.
- Work Related Accidents – Work-related accidents are tragic avoidable accidents. There is always a trail of negligence that can be followed in these cases.
- Premise Liability – Property Owners are required, by law, to keep their premises in a safe condition for those who travel through or in their premises. When they don’t and their negligence causes the passing of a loved one, you can pursue a wrongful death claim because of the property owner.
- Nursing Home Neglect – If your loved one passed because of inadequate or negligent care, we will help you pursue a legal judgement against the company to the fullest extent of the law.
- Medical Malpractice -When a Doctors error causes the passing of a loved one, a passing that would not have happened under normal circumstances, you can and should pursue a wrongful death claim against the doctor and the hospital.
- Boating Accidents – While more rare than car or truck accidents, boat accidents are just as deadly. If your loved one perished because of an accident involving a boat, and negligence was involved, our wrongful death lawyers in Granite City, can help you.
- Railroad Accidents – Because of the massive amount of force involved in train-related accidents, those involved face catastrophic injury and even death. If your loved one passed in an accident related to a train, you can and should pursue legal judgment against the company.
- Product Defects – Before a product can be sold to consumers, it must be made so that it isn’t dangerous for their consumption or use. If the product was defective, and this negligence was known prior to it being sold, the makers of the product can be held liable for a wrongful death claim.
- Personal Injury Accidents – Any personal injury accident that resulted in the loss of your loved one can possibly result in a wrongful death claim. If there was negligence involved, our wrongful death attorneys in Granite City can help you pursue your claim.
If you have lost an irreplaceable member of your family because of a negligent accident, and they are gone because of the actions of another that isn’t listed above, it is still important to call our wrongful death lawyers because we pursue all claims regarding the wrongful passing of loved ones in Illinois. Regardless of the circumstances that led to your loved ones passing, we are dedicated to ensuring that you and your family are provided for, and that those who are responsible are held accountable for the terrible and grievous actions.
What types of Compensation can my Family receive for the Granite City Wrongful Death?
Placing a monetary value on the life of a loved one can be a difficult process. Money will never replace your lost loved one, but, taking an accurate account of their monetary value and their applicable skills/trade proficiencies can help in estimating how much your family can receive in compensation for your loved one’s passing. Here are several factors that help in this decision:
- Earning Capacity
- Health Prior to Death
- Income at Time of Death
- Age and Circumstances of Dependents
- Education Level and Training
- Medical, Legal and Other Expenses Incurred because of the Passing
- Lost Pension
- Health Insurance
- Loss of Companionship
When the reckless actions of another have taken your family member from you, you can receive compensation for the loss of their life, their income, the loss of your companionship, and any other hardship you and your loved ones are placed in because of their passing. When you are ready to pursue their wrongful death claim, our Granite City attorneys can help.
What If my Family Member was Partially responsible for their Accident?
This is known as Comparative Fault Factoring. If your loved one was at fault for more than 50% of the reason that the accident occurred, pursuing damages may be incredibly difficult in the case. However, if they were not more than 50% responsible for the accident, a wrongful death claim can and should be pursued. Their percentage of fault in the accident does, however, reduce the amount of compensation that can be received in the claim.
Illinois Compiled Statutes state,
“Contributory fault” means any fault on the part of the plaintiff (including but not limited to negligence, assumption of the risk, or willful and wanton misconduct) which is a proximate cause of the death, bodily injury to person, or physical damage to property for which recovery is sought.”
The Statute goes further to state,
“In all actions on account of death, bodily injury or physical damage to property in which recovery is predicated upon fault, the contributory fault chargeable to the plaintiff shall be compared with the fault of all tortfeasors whose fault was a proximate cause of the death, injury, loss, or damage for which recovery is sought. The plaintiff shall be barred from recovering damages if the trier of fact finds that the contributory fault on the part of the plaintiff is more than 50% of the proximate cause of the injury or damage for which recovery is sought. The plaintiff shall not be barred from recovering damages if the trier of fact finds that the contributory fault on the part of the plaintiff is not more than 50% of the proximate cause of the injury or damage for which recovery is sought, but any economic or non-economic damages allowed shall be diminished in the proportion to the amount of fault attributable to the plaintiff.”
Why Should I choose the Granite City Wrongful Death Lawyers of Hassakis Law to Pursue my Wrongful Death Claim?
The Wrongful Death Lawyers at Hassakis Law believe in aggressively pursuing wrongful death claims for Illinois residents. Because of the negligent actions of the dangerous actions of a business, the careless practices of a corporation, or the negligence of an individual, you have lost your loved one. No amount of money will ever replace your family member, we can make sure that those who are responsible for their passing are held to account. We care about Illinois families because we are a part of Illinois. When you choose our , you are choosing local attorneys who have a stake in the success and livelihood of their communities. When you are ready to pursue justice for your lost loved one, call or contact our Wrongful Death Attorneys in Illinois.
Spanish translation services available. Servicios de Traducción en Español Disponibles.
Greek translation services available.