Nursing Home Negligence Belleville, IL
Approximately 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America per year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is suffering from nursing home negligence in Belleville, IL, the safest thing that can be done is to call our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that they can handle the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Belleville, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Belleville, IL
Nursing home negligence when a staff member at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not do their job at the level that they should. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are expected to provide a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Belleville, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to question your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it is important to check in on them and be sure that you know the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Belleville, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been on their medicine or has been given improper dosages of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Not following medical orders – examples include: bed guard rails raised so they is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a walker while walking, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit rules for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a patient is ordered to stay in bed, their caregiver is expected to check in on them often to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined often and pressure sores develop, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could be happening
- Failure to keep the premises safe and hazard-free – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to ensure that your family member is safe from possible hazards in the facility
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other self-care practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as food, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It might seem as though you and your loved one are fighting against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to provide legal counsel during this hard time. Our attorneys will make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence claim in Belleville, IL. It isn’t always an easy decision to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to help and ensure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as painless and uncomplicated as possible. If you and your family have any concerns at all throughout the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Belleville, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is living in a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be attended to. If this standard of care isn’t met, this might be caused by nursing home negligence in Belleville, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Belleville with their negligence cases and ensure that our clients will receive the maximum amount of compensation their case is eligible to recover for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Belleville, IL, include:
- Medical fees – if your loved one is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance bills, physical or psychiatric therapy, and money spent on prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting different than usual, is uncharacteristically sad, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical bills can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, fees pertaining to a resident’s medication, and physician appointments have a tendency to buildup over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is unable to enjoy past times that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as playing with their grandkids, chatting with others, hiking and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Belleville, IL
It is important to know how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is suddenly acting strange or is in pain, staff at their nursing home may be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is essential to establish an open line of communication with family member that resides in a nursing home. Talking openly about subjects such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Belleville, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Belleville, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Belleville, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been hurt or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our lawyers can help you take action against the retirement home and guarantee that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of your family member, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to put a stop to this, so if you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are able to recover damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your elderly family member stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Belleville, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.