Nursing Home Negligence Macon County, IL
An estimated 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in the U.S. each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence in Macon County, IL, the best thing that you can do is to speak to our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Macon County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Macon County, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a staff member at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and procure legal guidance. Nursing home caregivers are required to offer a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caregivers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Macon County, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it is important to keep an eye on them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Macon County, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to correctly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given improper dosages of their medication, this might be caused by nursing home negligence
- Not obeying doctors’ commands – examples include: sleeping guard rails locked into place so a resident is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a support device while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If a physician has given explicit instructions for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your family member is bedridden, their caregiver is in charge of looking after them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not checked in on often and pressure ulcers form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence might be present
- Failing to make the nursing home safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It may seem like you and your family are fighting against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to provide legal counsel during this difficult time. Our attorneys will ensure that your family member is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your loved one’s nursing home negligence case in Macon County, IL. It isn’t always an easy decision to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are available to help and ensure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as simple and stress-less as possible. If you and your family have any questions at all while going through the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Macon County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is placed in a nursing home, their fundamental needs including daily food and water, maintained personal hygiene, social needs and other fundamental needs should be taken care of. If this standard of care isn’t given, this is likely caused by nursing home negligence in Macon County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to assist those in Macon County with their negligence claims and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Macon County, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if your loved one is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or mental therapy, and fees for required medical accessories can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a patient is acting strange, is suddenly depressed, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical expenses can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses pertaining to a resident’s medication, and hospital appointments can definitely add up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is not able to partake in activities that they previously enjoyed such as playing with their grandchildren, talking with others, going for a stroll and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Macon County, IL
It is critical to know how to find the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is randomly acting strange or is in pain, caretakers at their nursing home may be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in many different ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be a sign of neglect. It is critical to establish an open line of communication with family member that is in a nursing home. Communicating openly about things such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Macon County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Macon County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Macon County, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our lawyers are ready to help you take action against the facility and make sure that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly terrible, as the primary goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of patients, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help you fight against this, so if you are worried that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not everyone is able to recover compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your elderly family member stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Macon County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.