Nursing Home Negligence Xenia, IL
Roughly 2.5 million senior citizens are exposed to nursing home negligence in the United States each year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence in Xenia, IL, the smartest thing that you can do is to call our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that our lawyers can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Xenia, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Xenia, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a staff member at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at extreme risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and seek legal help. Nursing home employees are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Xenia, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to second-guess your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in a variety of ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Xenia, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Not following physicians’ requests – examples include: safety guard rails up so they is prevented from rolling out of bed, required to use a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit rules for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your family member is ordered to stay in bed, their caregiver is expected to looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected often and pressure ulcers form, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could possibly be present
- Failure to keep the facility safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to make sure that your family member is safe from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family member are battling against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to guide you and your loved one during this difficult time. Our lawyers will make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Xenia, IL. It already isn’t an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help and put their all into making sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as pain-free and hassle-free as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any concerns at all while going through the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Xenia, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is living in a nursing home, their basic needs such as regular food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be met at minimum. If this standard of care isn’t met, this is likely an indication of nursing home negligence in Xenia, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to assist those in Xenia with their negligence cases and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Xenia, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – when a nursing home patient is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical costs, ambulance bills, physical or cognitive therapy, and costs for required medical items can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting strange, is uncharacteristically sad, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses associated with a resident’s medication, and physician appointments can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is no longer able to partake in past times that they previously enjoyed such as playing with their grandkids, communicating with other people, hiking and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Xenia, IL
It is vital to understand how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is inexplicably acting strange or feeling odd, staff at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a variety of ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include acting jumpy, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is critical to form an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Speaking openly about subjects such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Xenia, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Xenia, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Xenia, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our attorneys can help you fight against the retirement home and ensure that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly terrible, as the primary goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and respect of patients, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not all cases are eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to travel to a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your loved one put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Xenia, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.