Nursing Home Negligence Swansea, IL
Approximately 2.5 million senior citizens are exposed to nursing home negligence in America per year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your loved one is suffering from nursing home negligence in Swansea, IL, the best thing that can be done is to contact our experienced attorneys quickly so that our lawyers can handle the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Swansea, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Swansea, IL
Nursing home negligence when an employee at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and doesn’t perform their job at the level that they are expected to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are required to provide a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Swansea, IL
It can be tough to doubt your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you understand the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Swansea, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to accurately dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Not obeying doctors’ orders – examples include: bed guard rails raised so a resident is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a walker while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit orders for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a patient is ordered to stay in bed, nursing home staff is in charge of regularly monitor them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected often and pressure sores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence might be happening
- Failing to make the nursing home safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to ensure that your family member is safe from potential hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other self-care practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It may seem like you and your loved one are fighting against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to offer legal guidance during this hard time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the options that are available to your family’s nursing home negligence case in Swansea, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our personal injury attorneys are available to help and make sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as painless and stress-less as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any concerns at all while going through the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Swansea, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, social needs and other core basic needs should be met at minimum. If this standard of care is not performed, this is likely an indication of nursing home negligence in Swansea, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to assist those in Swansea with their negligence claims and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Swansea, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance bills, physical or cognitive therapy, and money spent on prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is suddenly sad, anxious, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses pertaining to a patient’s medication, and doctor visits can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home patient is unable to enjoy activities that they used to enjoy such as watching after their grandchildren, chatting with other people, swimming and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Swansea, IL
It is critical to learn how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is inexplicably acting strange or feeling odd, staff at their nursing home could be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in many different ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is important to form an open line of communication with your loved one who lives in a nursing home. Communicating openly about subjects such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Swansea, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Swansea, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Swansea, IL, are well-versed in all areas of personal injury. If your loved one has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our attorneys are ready to help you fight against the facility and guarantee that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and willpower of your loved one, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not all cases are eligible to receive damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are open to meet in a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your loved one stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Swansea, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.