Nursing Home Negligence Sesser, IL
An estimated 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in the U.S. each year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your family member is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Sesser, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to talk to our experienced lawyers immediately so that our attorneys can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Sesser, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Sesser, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a caretaker at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they should. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and procure legal guidance. Nursing home caregivers are expected to provide a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caregivers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Sesser, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your family member’s level of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you understand the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Sesser, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Ignoring medical commands – examples include: safety guard rails locked into place so a resident is prevented from falling out of bed, required to use a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit rules for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your family member is bedridden, a caretaker is expected to looking after them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and pressure ulcers are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be present
- Failure to keep the premises safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to keep your family member safe from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other self-care practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
You may think that you and your family are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to guide you and your loved one during this difficult time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Sesser, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help and ensure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as pain-free and hassle-free as possible. If your family has any concerns at all during the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Sesser, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs like regular food and water, maintained personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this level of care is not performed, this could be an indication of nursing home negligence in Sesser, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help those in Sesser with their negligence claims and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Sesser, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if a resident is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical costs, ambulance bills, physical or psychiatric therapy, and money spent on required medical accessories can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting strange, is suddenly depressed, anxious, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical bills can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, fees associated with a resident’s medication, and doctor appointments can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is no longer able to partake in past times that they used to enjoy like chasing after their grandchildren, chatting with other people, swimming and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Sesser, IL
It is critical to be aware of how to find the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is suddenly acting strange or has bruises, someone at their nursing home might be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in many different ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include acting jumpy, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on an elderly family member’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is important to create an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Communicating openly about topics such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Sesser, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Sesser, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Sesser, IL, are knowledgeable in all aspects of personal injury. If your family member has been hurt or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our attorneys are available to help you fight against the nursing home and guarantee that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the dignity, self-esteem and respect of your family member, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to travel to a location that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Sesser, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.