Nursing Home Negligence Du Bois, IL
An estimated 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your family member is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Du Bois, IL, the best thing that can be done is to speak to our experienced attorneys quickly so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Du Bois, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Du Bois, IL
Nursing home negligence when a caretaker at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and doesn’t do their job at the level that they should. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and get legal guidance. Nursing home employees are required to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Du Bois, IL
It can be hard to second-guess your family member’s level of care in their nursing home, but it is important to look after them and be sure that you understand the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Du Bois, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to properly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this can be due to nursing home negligence
- Not obeying physicians’ orders – examples include: bed guard rails in place so a resident is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a cane while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has given explicit orders for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your loved one is bedridden, a caregiver is expected to regularly monitor them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined often and pressure sores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence is happening
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything in their power to make sure that your family member is safe from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as meals, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
You may think that you and your family member are battling against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to guide you and your loved one during this difficult time. Our lawyers will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Du Bois, IL. It already isn’t an easy decision to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our personal injury attorneys are available to help and put their all into making sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as easy and uncomplicated as possible. If you have any worries at all throughout the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Du Bois, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is residing in a nursing home, their fundamental needs including daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, social needs and other core basic needs should be taken care of. If this standard of care isn’t met, this might be caused by nursing home negligence in Du Bois, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to assist those in Du Bois with their negligence claims and make sure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Du Bois, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if your loved one is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or cognitive therapy, and money spent on required medical items can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting different than usual, is unnaturally sad, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses associated with a patient’s medication, and hospital visits cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home patient is unable to partake in past times that they previously enjoyed like playing with their grandchildren, communicating with others, swimming and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Du Bois, IL
It is critical to understand how to spot the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is suddenly acting strange or is in pain, caretakers at their nursing home might be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in many different ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be caused by nursing home negligence. It is important to form an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Communicating openly about subjects such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Du Bois, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Du Bois, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Du Bois, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your family member has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the nursing home and ensure that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially mean, as the main goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the honor, confidence and respect of patients, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys won’t stand for that, so if you think that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our lawyers. While not everyone is able to recover damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to travel to a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your loved one stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Du Bois, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.