Nursing Home Negligence Crawford County, IL
Approximately 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Crawford County, IL, the best thing that can be done is to call our experienced attorneys quickly so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Crawford County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Crawford County, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when an employee at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they should. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at extreme risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and get legal help. Nursing home caretakers are required to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caretakers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Crawford County, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you understand the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in a variety of ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Crawford County, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to accurately dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medication or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Ignoring physicians’ commands – examples include: safety guard rails in place so they won’t fall out of bed, required to have a cane while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has stated explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your loved one is advised to stay in bed, a caregiver is expected to regularly examine them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure ulcers form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence is happening
- Failure to keep the nursing home safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to ensure that your family member is safe from all hazards in the facility
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It might seem as though you and your family are battling against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help your family during this emotionally trying time. Our attorneys will make sure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your older family member’s nursing home negligence case in Crawford County, IL. It already isn’t an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help and ensure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as simple and stress-less as possible. If you and your family have any questions at all throughout the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Crawford County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their basic needs like daily food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this standard of care is not performed, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence in Crawford County, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help those in Crawford County with their negligence claims and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Crawford County, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if a resident is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical costs, ambulance costs, physical or psychiatric therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting strange, is uncharacteristically sad, anxious, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses associated with a patient’s medication, and hospital appointments cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is unable to enjoy past times that they previously enjoyed such as playing with their grandchildren, speaking with others, swimming and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Crawford County, IL
It is critical to understand how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your loved one is suddenly acting strange or is in pain, someone at their nursing home may be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in various ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is vital to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who lives in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Crawford County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Crawford County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Crawford County, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been harmed or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home employees, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the nursing home and ensure that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly mean, as the main goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the dignity, self-esteem and willpower of your family member, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to travel to a location that works best for you. Our attorneys will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family fight against nursing home negligence in Crawford County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.