Nursing Home Negligence Troy, IL
Roughly 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in the U.S. per year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Troy, IL, the safest thing that can be done is to call our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Troy, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Troy, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when a caretaker at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they should. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at extreme risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is vital to act quickly and seek legal help. Nursing home caretakers are required to provide a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caretakers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Troy, IL
It can be tough to question your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and be sure that you understand the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Troy, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to properly give nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medication or has been given incorrect dosages of their medication, this might be caused by nursing home negligence
- Ignoring doctors’ orders – examples include: safety guard rails in place so a resident is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a walker while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit orders for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your loved one is ordered to stay in bed, a caretaker is expected to check in on them often to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure sores develop, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be present
- Failing to make the facility safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their staff is doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from potential hazards in the facility
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other self-care practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as food, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It may seem like you and your family are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to offer legal guidance during this hard time. Our lawyers will make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Troy, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help and make sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as simple and hassle-free as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any concerns at all during the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Troy, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is placed in a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be attended to. If this standard of care isn’t met, this could possibly be a sign of nursing home negligence in Troy, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to assist those in Troy with their negligence claims and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Troy, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if a resident is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical bills, ambulance fees, physical or cognitive therapy, and costs for prescribed medical accessories can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting different than usual, is suddenly depressed, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, fees associated with a resident’s medication, and doctor visits cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is no longer able to partake in activities that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence like watching after their grandchildren, communicating with others, swimming and other past times because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Troy, IL
It is essential to understand how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting different or has bruises, caretakers at their nursing home might be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in various ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is important to create an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Communicating openly about things such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Troy, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Troy, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Troy, IL, are knowledgeable in all aspects of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been hurt or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you take action against the facility and guarantee that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the main goal of nursing home employees should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and willpower of your family member, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys won’t stand for that, so if you think that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are eligible to receive damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help your family stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Troy, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.