Nursing Home Negligence Johnsonville, IL
Approximately 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in the U.S. each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your family member is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Johnsonville, IL, the best thing that you can do is to speak to our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Johnsonville, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Johnsonville, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when a staff member at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and doesn’t do their job at the level that they are required to. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at extreme risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caregivers are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caregivers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Johnsonville, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to second-guess your loved one’s level of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you know the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Johnsonville, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to correctly give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medication or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this can be due to nursing home negligence
- Ignoring doctors’ orders – examples include: sleeping guard rails in place so the patient is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is recommended to use a cane while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has given explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your loved one is advised to stay in bed, nursing home staff is in charge of regularly monitor them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and bedsores are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could possibly be happening
- Failure to keep the premises safe and hazard-free – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to guide you and your loved one during this emotionally trying time. Our attorneys will make sure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, which damages you can seek and the options that are available to your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Johnsonville, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury attorneys are here to help and put their all into making sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as easy and hassle-free as possible. If you and your family have any worries at all while going through the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Johnsonville, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this standard of care is not performed, this is likely an indication of nursing home negligence in Johnsonville, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to assist those in Johnsonville with their negligence cases and make sure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Johnsonville, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or psychiatric therapy, and fees for prescribed medical items can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting strange, is uncharacteristically depressed, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, fees associated with a resident’s medication, and hospital visits can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home resident is not able to partake in past times that they used to enjoy like watching after their grandchildren, communicating with others, walking and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Johnsonville, IL
It is important to be aware of how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is inexplicably acting different or has bruises, caretakers at their nursing home might be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a variety of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is important to create an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Speaking openly about topics such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Johnsonville, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Johnsonville, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Johnsonville, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you take action against the retirement home and ensure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly mean, as the main goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the dignity, self-esteem and respect of your family member, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to put a stop to this, so if you think that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are available to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your loved one fight against nursing home negligence in Johnsonville, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.