Nursing Home Negligence Union County, IL
Roughly 2.5 million elderly adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Union County, IL, the smartest thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers quickly so that our attorneys can handle the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Union County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Union County, IL
Nursing home negligence when a caretaker at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they should. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and seek legal help. Nursing home employees are expected to offer a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caregivers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Union County, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to second-guess your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and be sure that you know the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Union County, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to properly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been on their medicine or has been given inaccurate amounts of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Not obeying doctors’ commands – examples include: safety guard rails raised so they won’t fall out of bed, required to have a cane while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has stated explicit instructions for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a nursing home resident is ordered to stay in bed, their caregiver is in charge of looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected often and pressure ulcers form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be present
- Failure to keep the premises safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their staff is doing everything that they can to make sure that your family member is safe from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It might seem as though you and your loved one are battling against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to provide legal counsel during this hard time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will make it their priority to make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence case in Union County, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy decision to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to help and ensure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as painless and stress-free as possible. If you and your family have any concerns at all during the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Union County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is living in a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as regular food and water, maintained personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this level of care isn’t given, this might be a sign of nursing home negligence in Union County, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to assist those in Union County with their negligence claims and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Union County, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a nursing home patient is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical bills, ambulance fees, physical or psychiatric therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is uncharacteristically sad, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, fees pertaining to a resident’s medication, and physician appointments can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is no longer able to partake in past times that they previously enjoyed such as playing with their grandchildren, speaking with others, swimming and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Union County, IL
It is critical to be aware of how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting strange or has bruises, staff at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in various ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is important to form an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Speaking openly about topics such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Union County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Union County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Union County, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been hurt or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our attorneys are ready to help you fight against the nursing home and ensure that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and willpower of your family member, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our lawyers. While not everyone is able to recover compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to travel to a location that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your loved one put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Union County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.