Nursing Home Negligence Mascoutah, IL
An estimated 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is suffering from nursing home negligence in Mascoutah, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers quickly so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all topics related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Mascoutah, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Mascoutah, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a caretaker at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and doesn’t perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are required to offer a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Mascoutah, IL
It can be hard to question your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and be sure that you know the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Mascoutah, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to correctly give nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medication or has been given incorrect amounts of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow doctors’ commands – examples include: sleeping guard rails raised so a resident doesn’t fall out of bed, a patient is ordered to use a cane while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has given explicit orders for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If your loved one is advised to stay in bed, a caretaker is expected to regularly monitor them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after regularly and pressure sores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could possibly be present
- Failing to make the nursing home safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to make sure that your family member is safe from possible hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as meals, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It might seem as though you and your family are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to guide you and your loved one during this hard time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the options that are available to your family’s nursing home negligence case in Mascoutah, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to help and put their all into making sure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as easy and hassle-free as possible. If you have any concerns at all while going through the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Mascoutah, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is residing in a nursing home, their fundamental needs including regular food and water, maintained personal hygiene, social needs and other fundamental needs should be met at minimum. If this standard of care isn’t met, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence in Mascoutah, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to assist those in Mascoutah with their negligence cases and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Mascoutah, IL, include:
- Medical costs – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical bills, ambulance bills, physical or mental therapy, and money spent on prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is unnaturally depressed, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses pertaining to a patient’s medication, and physician visits cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home resident is unable to partake in activities that they previously enjoyed like playing with their grandkids, talking with others, swimming and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Mascoutah, IL
It is essential to understand how to spot the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is randomly acting different or is in pain, caretakers at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in many different ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is vital to establish an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Speaking openly about subjects such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Mascoutah, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Mascoutah, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Mascoutah, IL, are well-versed in all aspects of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been injured or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the facility and guarantee that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and willpower of your family member, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you are worried that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are able to recover damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to travel to a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your loved one stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Mascoutah, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.