Nursing Home Negligence Cahokia, IL
Approximately 2.5 million elderly adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your loved one is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Cahokia, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to talk to our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our attorneys can handle the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Cahokia, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Cahokia, IL
Nursing home negligence when a caretaker at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they should. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Cahokia, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your family member’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it is important to keep an eye on them and make sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Cahokia, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to properly give nursing home residents their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been on their medication or has been given improper dosages of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Not obeying physicians’ orders – examples include: bed guard rails up so the patient is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a walker while walking, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has given explicit rules for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a nursing home resident is advised to stay in bed, a caretaker is in charge of regularly monitor them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined often and pressure ulcers develop, this is a sign that nursing home negligence might be present
- Failure to keep the facility safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their staff is doing everything that they can to make sure that your family member is safe from all hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family member are battling against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to offer legal guidance during this hard time. Our attorneys will make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Cahokia, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy decision to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help and make sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as easy and uncomplicated as possible. If you have any worries at all while going through the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Cahokia, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be taken care of. If this standard of care is not performed, this could possibly be an indication of nursing home negligence in Cahokia, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help those in Cahokia with their negligence cases and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Cahokia, IL, include:
- Medical fees – if your loved one is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical fees, ambulance bills, physical or psychiatric therapy, and expenses for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is suddenly depressed, jumpy, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses pertaining to a patient’s medication, and doctor visits have a tendency to buildup over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home patient is unable to enjoy activities that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as chasing after their grandkids, chatting with other people, hiking and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Cahokia, IL
It is critical to understand how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your loved one is randomly acting different or feeling odd, staff at their nursing home may be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in many different ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence. It is important to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Talking openly about things such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Cahokia, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Cahokia, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Cahokia, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you take action against the retirement home and ensure that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially mean, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of your loved one, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your elderly family member fight against nursing home negligence in Cahokia, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.